Friday, April 30, 2010

Not Just at Hospice

From Zen Hospice training I have taken these three precious gems:

Sit
Breathe
Listen

and carried them around with me everywhere, all week. 

Sitting, not always literally, as in taking the time to settle into each moment, fully. There is a grounded-ness to be had there, that says, yes, I am here in this place, at this moment. I sit while I walk. I 'sit' while I drive. I 'sit' while I am talking to someone. I 'sit' everywhere, nowadays . . . 

Breathing, as a way of staying anchored in the body. I can't say enough about the gift of belly breath. So much calmness to be drawn from each breath, rising and falling in the belly. Breath has become my constant companion, my best friend, that can help me survive even the most turbulent circumstances.

Listening, as in paying attention to self, and all the thoughts, and emotions, and sensations that arise, moment to moment. Listening, as in keeping eyes, and ears, and all the other sense organs fully open to receive others. This often means talking less, and putting aside the chattering 'I'. 

Three simple things, that can change your life, and the lives of those around you!

2 comments:

  1. MARGUERITE, I teach mindfulness meditation at our small Sangha and am interested in teaching for hospice; staff, caregivers and patients. Can or should it be tailored for hospice? John

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may want to contact Zen Hospice directly, and tell them about your intention. A large part of their work is about reaching out to the worldwide community and educate about ways to deliver end-of-life care. Their approach is very much embedded in mindfulness framework. Look here:
    http://www.zenhospice.org/education/overview

    ReplyDelete