Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Techno Meditation at the Y

Spinning, I never cease to discover new ways of taking care of mind and body together. This time, rather than wishing away the loud music, I switched to making it the object of my sole attention. Being - or at least trying to be - one with the music, eyes closed, I got transported for a moment, to another place, another time. Bodh Gaya, and the roaring chant of monks by the Bodhi Tree. 

Techno, chanting, same thing almost . . . An object of attention too compelling to be ignored. Hearing  taking over and drowning all the other senses, thinking included. Purifying the mind, one beat at a time.

Until  irruption of strong vedana from soothing music at the end of the class. Wishing for those moments to last. Knowing better than to cling too hard. 

2 comments:

  1. I dont know what the Y is (we dont have one in the UK as far as I know) but Im not sure why you need loud music in your spinning class. Spinning is becoming a lost art. I knew some nuns very well who spun every day mainly for Priests vestments.They were real artists in many ways but now I think they are mostly dead. However I have always tended to think the quality of silence in any place is so important. I think it was Meister Ekhart who said that the only place we can truly meet God (or Ultimate Reality etc.) is in silence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y stands for YMCA, a popular gym in the US. And spinning here refers to an indoor bicycling exercise class with music . . .

    ReplyDelete