Saturday, April 20, 2013

Be Mindful, Be Playful

This morning, sitting on my favorite chair, doing nothing, I found the mind playing catch with itself. Having fun with each new thought. First noticing, then seizing, then releasing the thought. Until the next one, and the next one, and the next one . . . Mind at ease with itself. Welcoming each manifestation with gentle curiosity.

Mingyur Rinpoche examplifies and talks best about playful mindfulness:



Playful mind. Not tense. Not lazy.

The mind can play with any object. Thoughts, yes, but also breath, body sensations, emotions, sounds . . . Because of the law of impermanence, one thing we can be assured of is that each moment is a new moment, entirely different from the previous one. Each moment, a complete surprise.

I am curious. Aren't you?

4 comments:

  1. Its interesting to observe when talking about mindfulness that whatever is happening in the mind its always taking place in the present moment.There is no other moment. Memories and dream for example can only be experianced now.Whether we like it or not this moment is all there ever is.Some people are inclined to overlook this I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allowing each moment to unfold and being playful about it is a great practice. I often find that I am so caught up with the "important" matters or life that I have little room for being still and open. Yet it can be helpful in so many ways. For sure, inspired ideas do not arise when we are trying to control and critique every thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marguerite. Enjoy your posts. Heard a great quote: 'Mindfulness is also heartfulness.' When we are mindful we are in the presence of our heart. That stuck with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this post. I really appreciate your inclusion of the video with Mingyur Rinpoche- he has such a delightful- and effective- way of expressing himself.

    I think your post has helped me peer through the window and see meditation for what really is, and therefore help me on my meditation journey. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete