Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Three Big Questions About My Self

Body taken over by cold, gives me an opportunity to ponder the question:

"Whose body is it?"

Teary eyes, tiredness, congested chest, sore limbs, headache, runny nose . . . are not experiences I would choose, if it was up to me.

And another question:

"Where does my self end and begin?"

Prad got cold while we were in Paris, and I got it from him. Proof that we are not separate organisms, but instead part of the whole. Breathing the same air. Viruses going in an out freely, from cells to cells, with no regard for our man-made IDs.

And yet another question:

"Who is the person experiencing cold this morning?"

Obviously not the same as yesterday, when I was healthy. My whole self has been altered. Different thoughts, different emotions, different sensations, different awareness even.

Three big questions, embedded in one little cold . . .

4 comments:

  1. Interesting post. I hadn't thought of myself as different persons when well or unwell, but there is something in that. i shall meditate upon it. Thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thank you!

    Of course, our self is never the same from one moment to the next. Some times, it just becomes more apparent, . . .

    I wish you a happy meditation.

    With much metta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your ever poignant posts. For me I see it so clearly when I'm going through a bout of depression. It takes over and everything seems hopeless and dull and then like a magic veil it lifts and the sun is brighter, doubts just seem irrelevant and all that was wrong is just a small blemish hardly noteworthy. I see these two extremes and I meditate where the truth is.

    I also went through a few weeks in bed with a particularly vicious flu. I also saw a part in me that fights it, wants to push through, achieve things. And then I relaxed. I eased into the bed and meditated on my breath and reflected on why I fight so much. Why I fight to meditate, need to go away and then flu. There is a message in it for me. Just sit.

    Much warmth
    Miro

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! ever powerful mind . . . that keeps on create our 'reality', good, bad, and in between. To no longer be at the mercy of automatic mind is one of mindfulness practice's greatest gifts! This is why MBCT is so helpful to treat depressed states.

    Thank you for sharing. I appreciate your depth and genuineness.

    With much metta.

    marguerite

    ReplyDelete