Thursday, April 7, 2011

Behind Closed Door

Twice yesterday, I closed the door of my windowless office and I set the iPhone timer for 10mn. I turned off the light, and I sat there in the darkness. Giving myself the gift of intent mindfulness, being present for breath, and sensations in still body, and all the noises, big and small that make up a work environment. 20 minutes total that's all it took to set back the clock on my mindfulness watch. 20 minutes very well spent for myself and my employer. 20 or even just a few minutes, can you spare that much in your busy work day?

4 comments:

  1. Work is definitely an area where there's a million things rushing through the mind. In my case, I used to be a dishwasher and daydream whole 8 hours away.

    Now as a project manager, stress builds up with how many things I'm managing and I find I'm more emotive when working (alone!) than outside of work.

    As you said, 20 minutes is all it takes. I'm grateful I have a job that allows me to do this multiple times a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I am so happy for you.

    I am also extremely grateful for support from 24/7 online sangha here on this blog, on Twitter, and on Facebook. It is such conversations as the one I am just having with you that add fuel to the fire of practice.

    Thank you, and may you dwell in mindfulness today as you go about your work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where I work we have started a sitting group that meets a couple of times a week for around 30 minutes on our lunch break.

    ReplyDelete