Over the years, I have become pretty good at taking care of myself. Here are ten tips, that I would like to share:
- Take care of your body. Healthy body is good for happy heart, and healthy mind. That means, exercise every day, eat healthy, get enough sleep, and refrain from intoxicants.
- Carve out time for yourself. No matter how busy, how needed, remember that an empty cup cannot fill other cups. That means putting yourself first, some time, every day.
- Cultivate good friendships. A few grood friends can make all the difference in how you experience the inevitable ups and downs of life.
- Practice meditation. Such a simple, and powerful way to take care of your mental health. You can start with just few minutes a day, following set of basic instructions.
- Befriend your thoughts. Cultivate good thoughts, and use bad ones as thread of self-inquiry into old constructs that constrict you, and need to be disassembled, skillfully.
- Pay attention to your dreams. Those free pearls of wisdom, delivered to you, every morning, can shed light on your inner landscape, and expand limited ego perspective.
- Enlist help from a guide. Spiritual teacher, psychotherapist, life coach, . . . find someone in whom you can trust, and who can help you grow, and be happy.
- Live each day as if it was your last. Nothing like contemplating the very real possibility of death, to gain accurate perspective on how to live.
- Don't take life too seriously. Cut yourself, and others some slack. Make room for your 'badness'. Relax, and laugh. Perfection is a serious sin :)
- Cultivate gratitude. Notice all that is given to you, even the small things, and say thanks.
- Engage your creativity. You need not be an artist to be creative and play. Cooking, collages, painting, dancing, quilting, woodworking, programming, gardening . . . there are so many ways! (bonus tip :))
Any other self-care tips, anyone?