Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Body as Gateway to Self-Love and More

As soon as I start paying attention, the gnawing makes itself known. Starting in the stomach, then slowly making its way up, to the throat where it gets stuck. This morning was no exception. During the half-day retreat with Gil Fronsdal this morning, I felt it during both sitting, and walking meditations. A physical sensation, that went along with feeling of frustration, and recurring fantasies of being gainfully employed, doing good for the world.

During my interview with Gil, I shared earlier dream also. After a short investigation, it became clear this all has to do with my difficulties in loving self. Gil had me do a short guided meditation, starting with sensations in body. Feeling gnawing in stomach, completely, without commentary, letting it move . . . Feeling stuckness in throat. Gil asks what does it feel like? Image of a golf ball. Exploring the roundedness, the places of contact between ball, and throat. Ball dissolving. Gil asks again, what do I feel. Expansiveness in the heart, and tears. There was a lot more to it than what I relate here, including some thoughts that I shared and discussed with Gil as they came up. The overall experience was profound, and gave me a sense of the power of laser pointed mindfulness, using body sensations as gateway to deeply held emotions. Gil suggested I continue process on my own.

Gil expanded on self-love topic, during his mini-lecture. Here are my notes:

Story of King and Queen. The King asks the Queen, who she holds most dear? Myself, she responds. Disappointed King takes matter to the Buddha, who confirms it is indeed best to hold ourselves most dear. Story shows importance of self-love. Having very positive feeling about self, self-worthiness, self-respect, . . . is what allows us empathy for others' own worthiness.

Question is how to discover love for self? In typical Buddhist fashion, do not pursue ideal directly. Instead understand what are obstacles? Obstacles to self-love are all activities of the mind, that create ideas/feelings of unworthiness. These mind activities need to be put to rest. This requires clear seeing, and more importantly feeling effects of mind in body. Once obstacles fall away, this leaves room for something else to bubble up, not necessarily self-love. Could be some inner well being, purity that does not relate to self at all. Last, it is important to look at obstacles with kindness . . .

2 comments:

  1. I strongly agree with what You posted earlier on my site, regarding that we can be overly tough/critical of ourselves. The process of learning to be-friend ourselves can dissolve the unhelpful inner critic that has the capacity to emotionally cripple us. For me it has taken a lot of Zazen, unlearning, dropping, re-programming, NLP, etc... to melt the hard places within myself. I have a deep and abiding respect for the authenticity of your expressiveness.

    ~With Gassho,

    Seiho

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Seiho. 'Melting the hard places within myself' is a great image. I wonder if meditation alone can do the job???? My sense it is partly a matter of inner readiness, of enough accumulated suffering to open the heart. Combined with some faith, willingness, patience, commitment, and gentleness.

    This also presupposes a part that's loving enough already to seek self-love.

    Deep bow,

    marguerite

    ReplyDelete