Sunday, November 22, 2009

Taking Mindfulness Vow, on Twitter

Was it the awareness several times during last night's party, of my lack of mindfulness throughout most of the event? Or the effect of my reading of Kamala Masters' coming into natural mindfulness with her teacher Anagarika Munindra? Or a slow unfolding into a new place of realization? All I know, is I woke with this morning with the firm determination to no longer be complacent about my mindfulness practice, outside of regular sittings. To make it even more binding, I made this declaration, about 8 hours ago, on Twitter:

"today, I publicly declare I shall pay attention to my breath more, and to the moment, no matter what time of day :) #mindfulness"

Not saying that I will be mindful 24/7 - got to sleep some of the time too! - , but at least, I am spelling my intention out loud, and that's big. Kind of like taking vows, in front of Twitter sangha community. @digitalzendo and @GeneManuel even retweeted my proclamation, so I have two witnesses at least, to hold me accountable.

Drinking afternoon tea, with new appreciation, from paying attention to the whole experience. Cup hot, cold hands, surprised by heat, all around, happy. Eyes, delicate steam, from milky surface, cross, for first time. Slow sips, stretched, lifting cup, meeting with lips, brew, swished, sweet. Deep inhale, bitter after taste, sweet. Exhale, grateful.

4 comments:

  1. The vow to practice the Way of Mindfulness is no small thing. Trust me on that. That I can serve as one part of that process, humbles me, because your life is one of Buddha, as you engage in your Hospice practice. I genuinely admire your deep commitment to compassionately care for sentient beings, placed in your path.

    Right now, I am remembering the words on Zen Master, Sheng yen who passed away about a year ago from Dharma Drum Monastery. He said, "The universe may one day perish, yet my vows are eternal." May we care for and nurture them well.

    Forever True Dharma Continue,

    Seiho Jaye Morris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Seiho. Not a small vow. And also what matters most to me at this point, along with walking the path of love and compassion. I feel so incredibly blessed to have heard the call to awakening. Your spiritual friendship means lots. I hope I can also be there for you.

    Deep bow,

    marguerite

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Be soft in your practice. Think of the method as a fine silvery stream, not a raging waterfall. Follow the stream, have faith in its course. It will go its own way, meandering here, trickling there. It will find the grooves, the cracks, the crevices. Just follow it. Never let it out of your sight. It will take you...." Sheng-yen.

    When you are overly mindful of mindfulness your mind is not on now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree with you that mindfulness should not become rigid. At same time, without primary intention, it will not happen . . . It is a fine balance, and to start with, better err on the less developed side :) Living as a householder has so many distractions, that it takes a vow such as this one, to stay focused. Thank you for your caring. It means a lot.

    ReplyDelete